reclass and class node membership with salt

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue May 13 23:34:52 CEST 2014

also sprach Mike Kelly <mike at piratehaven.org> [2014-05-13 22:17 +0200]:
> Thanks for writing the reclass node reclassifier for salt.  I'm looking
> for a feature which I guess isn't implemented in reclass yet.

You're right. Fundamentally, you can either approach this
node-centric (i.e. which classes does a node have), or class-centric
(i.e. which nodes are in a class). Since all the system automation
tools generally ask about the information per-node, the former is
what reclass is optimised for.

However, the data are all one grab away, and when I finally get
around to implementing the todo item "membership information", this
will be trivially possible, as then all the data will also have been
read in for every call. It'll just be an O(nm) walk away, as far as
I can see it.

> More generically, I find my self creating groups of hosts, for
> which the hosts need to know both which groups they are a member
> of, and which hosts are also members of the group.

Just curious: what's the usecase? Could you provide an example?
Maybe there is another way…

--

"the ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
                                 -- hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net