reclass and class node membership with salt

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed May 14 08:33:20 CEST 2014

also sprach Mike Kelly <mike at piratehaven.org> [2014-05-14 03:34 +0200]:
> To answer your question of how I want to use this data, a simple example
> might be nagios, or splunk, or hudson, or backups, or any of a number of
> client/server systems where I need to configure the server to beware of
> the client, and then configure the client to be aware of the server.

This is precisely the use-case I have in mind for
http://reclass.pantsfullofunix.net/todo.html#membership-information

I take it one step further. For instance, I might have two backup
servers, and while all clients are (class) backup_clients, the
backup server to use is determined in the classes hosted at munich and
hosted at zurich.

Now, when compiling the data for the Zurich backup server, I don't
look at the intersection between backup_client and hosted at zurich to
determine the set of nodes to use, but I ask the inventory: give me
a list of all nodes that define backup:master to be equal to
backup.zurich.example.org.

Does this make sense?

--

"let me take you down, 'cause i'm going to strawberry fields.
 nothing is real and nothing to get hungabout.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net